For use in salads, vegetables, pastas or relishes
Use sparingly, no more than 1/4 in most dishes, rinsed. Pulp removal optional.
3-4 medium or large lemons
5 tablespoons sea or kosher salt, divided
1/2 cup lemon juice (minimum)
cleaned mayonnaise jar with plastic lid or mason jar
- Cut lemons into quarters, lengthwise, leaving about 1/4″ intact at bottom.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt into clean jar. Add lemons. Cover with lid and shake until salt is distributed. Freeze 8 hours or overnight.
- Add 4 remaining tablespoons salt to jar. Cover and shake. Remove lid. Press lemons down with wooden spoon, releasing juices. Add enough lemon juice to cover lemons. Secure lid and refrigerate.
- Following 6-7 days: Shake jar daily to distribute salt, pressing down lemons with wooden spoon afterwards if necessary to keep them submerged. Salt should fully dissolve during this period.
- Store in refrigerator up to 6 months, if they last that long. Lemons may darken slightly or have a white film that washes off with water.